Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Peck's On the Wings of Heroes

While Richard Peck is a very good writer, I don't know that I would call him "The best living author for young adults". While I liked On the Wings of Heroes, it's going to be a really tough sell. It's the sort of introspective writing that students DO NOT want to read. It has its funny moments, it's immediate and effective, but it's also rather dull. I wish that I could get children to read it, because the world is not like this anymore-- neighbors don't let you look through their attics for scrap, people don't band together for causes, grandparents don't move in with families. But it will be a tough sell.

Apparently also a tough sell is Ivy Ruckman's This is Your Captain Speaking (1987). It's been off the shelf twice. Another introspective tale, this time of a boy who befriends an old sailor in a nursing home where his mother works. I loved it, but again, not much happens. It is also cursed with horrific cover art. I'll try to move it, but it may be removed.

Willo Davis Roberts Secrets at Hidden Valley was just sort of disappointing. There weren't many secrets at the trailer park that interested me all that much. Still, fans of this author will read it, and it was okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment