Friday, October 19, 2007

Crash Course by Reilly


Wow! Imagine that all transportation ran on the magnetic waves the earth puts out, and you could travel across the US in 90 minutes. Of course, there is a lot of interest in hover car racing, and we get to follow Jason to the International Racing School in this book. There, he finds all sorts of intrigue and danger as he learns to be a great racer.

Is this book cheesy? Oh, definitely! Did I care? Not at all. Jason's car is called the Argonaut and the cartoon pictures of the characters, especially La Bomba Romba are over the top, but the writing is solid. I loved it and I don't even like cars! I don't know that I have ever read a "penny dreadful" from years long past, but this was full of the action and adventure that I imagine those potboilers were. Now that I've read this, it will fly off the shelves as if all six magnetos are at 100% power. Photo Finish and Full Throttle are the other two in the series, and I am looking forward to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment